Skip to main content

Being Asuka Langley Soryu in latex costume

I have noticed that most interesting thing in my photos and in my blog has been my Asuka Langley Soryu costume (by Andromeda Latex). Because I have felt that some people would like to see me doing only Asuka cosplay and posing in pictures with the costume I decided to write something about the costume.

I also tell why I don't do only Asuka cosplay and why I do it quite rarely.

I noticed that there hasn't been very much photos of the suit on my blog after my old review so I decided to put some photos here from the past years. I hope it covers some demand of seeing more about the suit as well as telling a bit more about experiences with it.

I have cosplayed Asuka very rarely. It's not that I wouldn't like to do it but there are many reasons which I tell later on this article.

General thoughts and some history of my Asuka costume

Being Asuka feels fun. Well, I'm not a performer or actor so "being" sounds a bit too much. Let's just say that I love the look of the character and especially Asuka's plugsuit costume was the thing that I admired from the first time when I saw the character. The detailed red form-fitting overall was a stunning sight. Asuka's hairstyle with hair nodes and the volume was a great addition to the look. Lastly, I think that Asuka's self-confidence and the will to wear that suit with pride was the final reason why I wished to cosplay her character one day.

It was only later when I got a chance to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion serie completely. It was a bit of surprise for me that Asuka isn't actually the center of the characters. She joins the crew after eight episodes. I also didn't know about her nature and her difficult personality. Nevertheless I had already liked her looks and suit so it was enough for me to think about the cosplay.

In 2008 I had a contact with a tailor who specialized in vinyl clothing (PVC). I had a wish to get an Asuka plugsuit. I saw very much cosplayers' photos around internet with Asuka's plugsuits but I never heard about anyone who could do them as a commission. This time I finally found one tailor willing to try this and I was excited!

My first Asuka plugsuit was a bit of a prototype as my tailor had never worked such a project. The overcome wasn't very accurate but it was enough for me and there were many things and details that I liked very much. But in the end that costume didn't last very long as it was made of PVC that didn't stretch. So the seams and the material started to crack soon. This costume didn't make it to any occasions or good photos.

Years later I bumped to Andromeda Latex. I can't exactly remember how I found the manufacturer but I do remember that I was totally stunned. Andromeda Latex has made absolutely unbelieveable latex costumes during the years. And when I saw the Asuka plugsuit on the website I instantly fell in love with it. So many details, so beautiful, no exceptions to original design. Absolutely perfect!

Asuka plugsuit costume made by Andromeda Latex is a magnificent piece of work. It has many accurate details, 3D design with thicker parts on thin costume and all the accessories to make it look absolutely original as seen in Neon Genesis Evangelion anime series.

I had my doubts and concerns about the costume. First of all it was still made of latex fabric. How would that last during the years? What if there will be some accident like some bypasser who scratches the costume and it would be torn to useless condition? Fixing would be very hard or impossible? And maybe glued seams would snap off at some point? Or after some time there would be some corrode on some parts because of sunlight, metal or so?

So many concerns already. And mostly of the second reason: The price. I didn't know the price at that point but I already knew that this kind piece of art wouldn't be cheap.

Third concern was that Andromeda Latex had always full books with orders. I never knew if they would be willing to make a costume for me as I was just one ordinary person, a nobody, from some small country. And I wasn't a cute girl who would pose in magazine covers - I was a middle-aged man. As we see my self-esteem wasn't very high then. I was already sad as I thought that costume would be available for only some certain people.

But then one day I saw Andromeda Latex's announcement that there were few slots available for Asuka costumes only. I couldn't believe my luck! I had to choose. This was a once-in-a-lifetime chance for me. I decided to write a mail straight away and wished to order a costume.

Andromeda Latex answered and accepted! I was thrilled!

I knew from very start that this was right decision for me to do. I have learned years ago that if you feel that you are leaving something unchosen that would feel bad afterwards and maybe even haunt you for a long time you should definitely choose it. So I didn't feel sad about the vulnerable material or high price. I felt happy that I could have an opportunity to experience this rare chance.

The costume in box ready to be sent. (Photo taken by Andromeda Latex).


After some messaging, payment, taking very accurate measures and some weeks I got a package via mail. You know the feeling when you get your own home? Your dream outfit? When you get to pet a big animal you have never seen yet? When someone surprises you with a gift you have wished for but never expected to have? I had kind of a feeling like these. Something... extraordinary. The feeling that there it really was. A piece of art in my very own hands.

Dressing up and wearing

Dressing up as Asuka feels awesome. Dressing itself is really difficult and it definitely needs help. But after it's done the suit fits like a glove and is an unbelieveable sight. And despite the difficult dressing of costume the feeling of dressing up is fun! Well, it is fun as long as you are comfortable with lots of silicone between your skin and that latex. But for latex lovers it is never a problem!

Pulling up the back zipper needs help. Also fastening the backpack needs help as you can't reach your back alone. Also the wig might need some assistance. So wearing is fun but you just can't do it alone.

The suit is made to measures of course so that is why it fits so well. But to gain a great look the suit must be really fit. And as it is really fit it is also really tight. With thin latex fabric tightness isn't a big problem but on this suit there are plenty of parts and details which are made of thick rubber. Thick parts aren't stretchy and they have some edges which are pressed against your body continuously.

For example on my suit the shoulder parts are continuously pressing down my shoulders. After a little time I forget the feeling but after some hours of wearing when I undress the suit I feel the pain and there are big imprints on my shoulders. I've been thinking if my suit wouldn't be in optimal measures but I came up with the result that if there would be more room for shoulders the suit couldn't be so fit anymore. So it's just that if you wish it to look perfect you have to suffer a bit. But it has been always like this with every fancy piece of clothing, hasn't it?

Asuka cosplay at river Spree in Berlin, Germany.


The feet parts are one of my favourites! Feet are attached to overall which makes them seem beautiful. And they feel fun! Imagine your bare foot inside a latex trouser leg with attached sock with thick rubber shoe sole. Only challenge is the walking because you can't avoid dressing aid silicone ending up to feet too so your foot feels slippery inside those feet parts! Despite that I've managed to walk around quite well for short distances.

My other favourite parts are gloves, wrist bracelets, buttocks and the backpack. Not that I wouldn't like the costume itself completely and the feeling of latex catsuit too. But I especially love all the details the costume has.



The breasts on my costume are made of thick rubber and are filled with air. They have little holes with short hoses and plugs inside which can be used to refill air pockets if necessary. This allows the suit to be worn without paddings on chest.

I remember seeing some photos of other cosplayer wearing similar Asuka costume. She was a woman and she had some differences on the costume. She had posted a photo of breast parts from inside. It is obvious but in women version the breasts were made hollow like pockets. I do believe that kind of design works much better for women.



Generally the costume is quite good to wear even though it is challenging. It restricts movement only on hands as hands can't be risen up because of thick shoulder parts. The suit doesn't restrict movement on legs or torso so it is possible to make many great poses with the costume. Sitting is easy and walking around is quite easy. Only visiting a restroom brings a lot of challenge.

The longest time I've been wearing my Asuka costume has been about 5-6 hours if I remember correctly. I had to control my need of water or other liquids so I didn't need to go to restrooms. I drank only little amount of water but repeatedly so I could keep up proper hydration. I guess some amount of hydration came out by sweating but I have also been lucky because I don't sweat easily and that allows me to wear latex for long times. But as we can understand - Wearing this Asuka outfit needs much more attention and help than most of latex clothes.

Last but not least the costume can be really hot! Not only "hot" by its looks but literally hot. Usually I don't have problems wearing latex even when the weather is warm. But when I took a photo session outside with my partner during one of our travels there was a heat wave with 30 C degrees! I just had waited for so long to get some photos for memories that I didn't want to give up. So I was "cooking" myself in the sun for a good while wrapped in heavy latex! I don't enjoy that feeling but I fought for the photos.

Maybe my pain can't be seen on those three photos which are shown above but if you look for the fourth photo from the set a little bit further on this story you can clearly see all the sweat stains on the ground under me! And that was just a little amount. Imagine you are wearing rubber boots with water inside reaching your ankles. I felt like that - with sweat! Really bizarre experience.

Fortunately I made it alive, got undressed and cooled off. After the photo session all liquids suitable for drinking were more than welcome! But I'm still really happy to have those great photo memories. And I would do that again anytime.

Durability and lifetime

The durability of the suit has been ok so far. There has been few challenges but I've still managed to overcome them.

One weak spot is found from the chest. The seam above breasts has quite much tension during wearing. The material is very thin above the seam and quite thick on the breast parts. The seam itself is in a stretch and there may come some detrition by time. This creates a risk that the seam in continuous pull could rip apart. I've managed to reinforce these parts by putting on suitable glue on them and adding some extra fabric on and under the points. One time I used a help of a professional latex tailor on repairing but later I also had courage to work myself. I really hope that extra patching will reinforce the suit enough so its lifetime will be longer.

Unfortunately there are weaknesses too on the costume. On this picture I've marked weak spots with blue. The seam above the breast parts has tension while wearing the suit. I've noticed some embrittlement on the seams and there has been a risk for tearing. I've tried to reinforce these parts.

There are still more spots which needs attention. All the parts which have seams between thick and thin latex materials should be checked constantly. There may come detrition, tension or scratches on them and they are the spots with a risk of tearing. I prefer to glue these seams in advance if any weakness doubted.

I also noticed after few years that there are metal parts on the suit which aren't compatible with latex itself. These parts are mandatory of course so this challenge is unavoidable. I have to keep an eye on metal snap fasteners as the metal creates corrosion on latex which it touches. It was pure luck when I got aid on dressing the suit and my aide noticed dangerous corrosion on the back part on my suit. If it hadn't been noticed the suit would have ripped already. I managed to fix these parts with glue and patches by myself. The results aren't very beautiful but these parts are hidden during wearing so there is no problem. Now I have some extra material on metal parts so I hope there won't be more corrosion in few years.


Really nasty corrosion on the latex fabric caused by continuous touch with metal. It was hard to spot but fortunately my partner noticed it.

I made a solution to repair the corrosion like this. I put glue on the corroded part and glued a patch on it. I also put a patch on the metal part so it couldn't corrode the patch again too soon. Now the metal has a layer of glue (as seen in photo) and another patch on it so there are two patches between metal and corrosion. I hope this gives more lifetime to the suit.


Why don't I wear this costume more often?

It would be fun to wear Asuka costume more often. But I think that if it would be important to me I really would do it more often. I guess I value other things over it.

But even when there would be a chance to wear my Asuka plugsuit latex costume it needs some extra attitude. It isn't very easy and even so pleasant like other latex outfits can be. Of course I love the feeling of dressing and wearing it but I'll tell a bit more about its difference.

Asuka posing at Kupittaa train station in Turku, Finland. Kupittaa station isn't the main station so it is a bit more quiet than the central station. This was the good reason to go for photos there because the station has also great urban looks similar to Neon Genesis Evangelion series.


The costume is really hard to dress on. It has to be dressed really slowly. The foot and torso parts are quite ok to dress on but when I get to arm parts it turns really hard to dress alone. I really prefer to have an aide to help me dressing the costume on. Dressing needs a lot of dressing aid, silicone lube, especially in arms so they could be pulled on with minimum friction. Finally the zipping is the part that really needs the other person. Even if you could reach the zipper yourself it is so tight to pull up that it turns to be impossible. With an aide it can be done with a bit of work but the result is really tightly fitting costume. So it's kind of a prize for the hard work.

The feet parts are fixed to the costume. Dressing on the feet needs silicone aid and may be a bit hard. But this solution makes the costume look very much like original one. And I must admit that I like this solution very much as it feels fun too. The shoe soles are made of thick rubber so you can walk around outside too. I also like the look of the heel parts very much.

The back of the suit. As we can see the zipper is on the back and it starts from the middle of the back. It is really hard to pull alone and I think that an aide is mandatory when dressing up. Another noticeable thing is there isn't zipper or openings on the crotch. So if there will be any need to go to restrooms the suit must be undressed almost completely! But still I must admit that additional openings or zippers would make the costume look worse. Now it looks way better.

I estimate the dress-up takes about 30-45 minutes with an aide after some experience. At the first time it took about an hour to dress on.

But the fun isn't over yet. After getting the costume on there are still more to do like getting the wig on, putting on the backpack part and putting on gloves and wrist bracelets. And, did we remember to shine the costume?

Obviously the make-up, contact lenses and the hairnodes on the wig has to be done before dressing the costume.



So I guess we are already getting the picture about "evolving" to Asuka. It really takes work and time. And it definitely needs an aide. And lastly I must mention that without a correct mood it wouldn't be so fun. So even the mood should be right for the day.

And if any photos are in mind I still need an aide to drive me around, help me on the set and to photograph me if there aren't a separate photographer.

Then there's this one more thing. If I want to wear the costume for hours (and of course I want if I see all that trouble with my helpers getting the cosplay done) I have to take off half of the suit if I wish to go to restroom! As there isn't a crotch zipper the suit must be undressed almost completely. You can imagine all the trouble caused by one visit to WC as it also needs a lot of help.

So there we have quite many reasons why I'm not dressing as Asuka so often! I'd really like to, but... Reality hits hard!

And lastly there is so much your mundane life going on and taken care first. I just have to work, do the chores and give my time to others. If someone would dedicate a life for this lifestyle there would be a lot of other things left behind.

It was a really hot day during this photoshoot! 30 degrees Celsius at river Spree, Berlin, Germany.


And there's so much other life than living for the Instagram. And even if I would do that, I'd never be able to get my livelihood from that. I'm not a 25 years old model girl you see! And still I doubt many of popular models make their whole lifetime living with as OnlyFans content creators.

So let's just keep this latex and cosplay lifestyle as a rare opportunity for myself. I also think it is much more fun and rewarding this way than as a mandatory work.


Why had I dress as a girl character? Why not Shinji, the boy character on the series?

I think that many times girl characters are more pretentious or ambitious than boy characters. There are also cool boy characters and I have cosplayed them too. But it depends from many things if I want to dress as a boy or girl character.

For example I find Cat Noir from Miraculous Ladybug serie cool. His costume is also awesome with shine, mask, ears and a ring. But for example Tuxedo Mask from Sailor moon is boring. His costume is too much related to dressing standards in real life. It's lame and dark. And the character itself doesn't fascinate me. Then again I find all the girl characters on Sailor Moon interesting and their costumes look great.

So I could say that girls just tend to have much better costumes which I like. This can actually be seen easily in the real life as women have much more options on their clothing with more designs, colors and accessories.

One day back in time I just decided to cross the line and try to crossplay and play with the looks despite of my gender. It really took courage as the world still keeps genders in their own castes. Especially men. But I found out that playful attitude and throwing yourself out of the castes once in a while is really fun and doesn't do any harm to anyone.

Coming to that Shinji character I mentioned earlier, I could have chosen to cosplay him. He is a boy character from same serie as Asuka and he also has very cool costume in the serie. But somehow I got attracted to Asuka's red overall. She really looks stunning. Also her personality was more interesting than Shinji's. Not that Shinji wouldn't have much interesting sides but he is quite shy and quiet at times and Asuka tends to be fierce and self-confident. A show-off. And that's one fun point when cosplaying.




One major thing that I haven't really thought earlier is that I didn't get a partner in long period of my life who could have supported my passion. I was alone with my wish to cosplay or see someone dressing up beside me. I guess that when I was many years alone with my wishes I decided to become more flexible and allowing myself. I guess I decided that if no one supports me or dresses up with or for me I'll do everything alone myself.

This was the right decision, but not that simple. It was right because everyone has to be loyal to themselves. No one can demand others to please them so then they must please themselves or leave those things behind. The other side of this is actually understanding the fact that you really can't insist anyone other to do something to you. No matter how important it may be.

I was devastated back in years when I felt that I'll always be alone with my passion for fetishism and cosplay. But as I said, then suddenly I accepted it. I could be alone and still enjoy my important things. Even if I'd like to crossplay Asuka. And that was not only positive to me alone but I actually found my best realtionships and friendships after this.


But you are a middle-aged man. Aren't you too old and still wrong gender to cosplay Asuka?

Being "too old" was exactly one thing that awakened me one day. I'm getting older day by day. I had felt a passion for cosplay and other things for a long time and I suddenly realized that some day everything is too late. I realized I had always delayed and left things undone because I thought that one day the world may be more allowing to us. To us who would like to cosplay, crossplay, dress up, wear alternative clothes, wear fetish-related clothes, cross the borders and wear clothing despite gender...

And I realized that world isn't changing so much. I could wait to the grave with my important passions if I just wouldn't do something some day soon.

And that was the turning point in my life. Then I decided that if I wish to cosplay or do something other that would bring happiness to me and wouldn't hurt anyone else, I can do it.

Cosplay doesn't know borders regarding gender. From what I have understood the world of cosplay is open to so called crossplay where boys can dress as girl characters and girls as boy characters. There are also many manga books and anime series where the gender of certain characters isn't very clear. Especially this allows the world of cosplay to be flexible.



I must admit that I have compared myself to those young girls who get cool costumes, professional photographers and a lot of attention. I have felt that people don't like what I'm doing and it isn't ok for photographers or followers. It may be true. It may be that world just prefers young women in photos and if they have pro photos and stellar outfits it only boosts their popularity.

A middle aged man with his dream to leave his mundane life aside once in a while and throw himself into world of playfulness, colors and fun isn't so popular as young boys or girls with young looks. But I have still been loyal to myself. I do what I love. Not something to receive money or followers. Sometimes these ones don't even do something they would want to do.

I may be old, I may be a man. But I'm original. And I'm very happy once in a while!


When the time comes and this suit finally breaks during wearing will I have a new one?

This is a question in which I can't answer completely myself. It depends mostly of Andromeda Latex manufacturer and their possible open slots for commissions. Secondly it depends if I want to afford a new one. And as third comes the question whether I still wish to have another Asuka costume or if I wish to have other costumes or even other things.



But at this very moment I feel same feeling as during past few years. I feel some fear that the next time I dress into costume it may be the last one because it may be torn. I have been thinking why I feel this way. And I came up with the reason that I really like that costume. So it is very much possible that I wish to get a new Asuka costume if my current one is lost. But we'll see that in the future.


Thoughtful ending with my true feelings

In the end I'm just very happy that my dream came true and Andromeda Latex was willing to make me my own Asuka costume. Even after that I had to fight my thoughts and feelings between cosplaying a girl character and being a man in conservative world. It wasn't an easy fight but I'm really happy that I came up with this decision.

We only have one life to live. It would be nice to get some of your dreams come true while hurtling or loitering around here. And I thank a lot I had this one dream come true. Along many others of course.

I still may have more chances to cosplay Asuka in the future. Despite my gender or age. But we'll see about that then. Let's just never forget that these things may be some great dreams or experiences but the real life is the one that really matters.

Kupittaa train station at Turku, Finland. Great place to do a short and quick photoshoot!

So never push aside those really important things. I still prefer and value a safe home, family, food, love and a chance to work instead my personal dreams. Of course I crave some of my dreams to come true but what I mean is I don't want to be selfish. It's never about me getting the advantage by others losses. It's never about just me myself. Or getting above others. Or the money. That is why I despise many celebrities who seem to share only shallow values like getting lots of likes, money or fame.

Let's put it this way. A rich celebrity or an Instagram star have much better chances to get something rare or expensive. Like latex Asuka costume. But for me it was a big dream and more unlikely to have. And I got something that I didn't expect to have.

I never take anything granted. I'll always be humble if I get any extras in my life because all of us can't have same chances. If I get those dreams or extras I always be grateful for them. And if I'll ever get more money I hope I'll never forget these principles.

I hope I'll still have chances to cosplay Asuka in the future. It's not about age or gender. It's about more important things first, family, work, home, time, health, durability of the costume and someone willing to help with it. And yeah, maybe when I'm finally getting deep wrinkles in my face it is also about the age. But mentally never. Because you are never too old to play or do what you love  <3


To conclude my thoughts:

  • Chase your dreams
  • Never give up hope
  • Be loyal and merciful to yourself
  • Age is just a number
  • Gender doesn't always matter
  • Live life while alive
  • Be grateful if you get something
  • Never forget the other people around you
  • Everyone of us can be Asuka, superhero or whatever character once in a while  ^_^

Thank you for reading. I wish you all best of luck in your life!

--------------------

(Special thanks to my partner Tigrita for taking photos of me. All the photos on this article where I'm cosplaying are taken by Tigrita. Thank you my dear <3  )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Asuka plugsuit / Andromeda Latex

In the year 2016 I was lucky enough to get a slot from Andromeda Latex for commission of latex Asuka plugsuit. I was really anxious as I knew that this opportunity would be really rare but the costume wouldn't be cheap. I had always dreamed to get an Asuka plugsuit that would be perfect. Nothing like those poor ones around everywhere in cheap internet stores. I made a decision and asked for a commission. I got one. Asuka Langley Soryu meets Finland. Costume: Andromeda Latex. Model: Senshi. Photo: Tigrita. The system of Andromeda Latex is based on commissions and slots for them. People get a picture of manufacturer that is almost always booked full and rarely has any slots open. After all this is understandable because unique and high-quality costumes aren't anything like some mass-producted garments. Luckily sometimes one can notice an open slot that is announced on the website or social media channels. The commission and communicating are done with email. Thi

Movies: Rubbers Ou Onna (Japan, 2010)

It was many years back when I found a mention about this movie on some website. There was a sho rt br iefing about the movie and it said the movie tells about a young woman who ha s a latex fetish . Of course I got interested about the movie and trie d to get i t in my hands as soon as possible. I had my prejudices regarding t he movie. Always when I had heard about a woman and latex clothing being in same movie it had been a fetish sex film or some short scene in a movie where some sexy bimbo wears PVC pants and makes i t excessive and a joke. I was very happy to find out that this movie wasn't a joke. It w as exactly what I had wished for a long time. Rubbers ou onna movie cover. Rubbers Ou Onna (also sometimes: "Rabâzu: Oou onna") is a japanese movie from year 2010. It's in japanese language. I didn't have an opportunity to watch the movie with subti tles or dub. Therefore my review is based on my own feelings and to things I saw in the movie. So