Skip to main content

Review: Latex blue camo mercenary outfit / Latex by Tiina Rikala

Some years ago I had an idea to plan an outfit that would have a garment made in camouflaged style. As a result I had a blue latex outfit in a soldier or mercenary style. The outfit consists of blue shirt with shoulder boards, blue camouflage-patterned trousers, loose belt pockets and a beret. Other accessories I have bought from other shops.

My costume was designed and planned totally by a tailor Latex by Tiina Rikala that operates in Finland.


(Photographer: thome)


In the beginning I had an idea to have a blue camouflage uniform. I thought about having not only trousers but a jacket too. When I discussed the idea with Tiina she suggested that there could be a one colored shirt instead the camouflaged jacket. At first I was suspicious but as we can see the result was much better this way.

My other ideas were to make the shirt look army style. I wished to have a name tag, shoulder boards and a national flag on the shirt. I also presented few ideas like a beret with a BDSM-logo and few loose pockets that you could attach to waist belt with belt rings. Tiina said these could be possible.



When I was going through color options I viewed the color chart of Radical Rubber. As I wanted to have some clue how would the camo pattern look like I tired to make my own camo pattern by copy-pasting the colors to Paint program and making a random pattern from the pieces  X)   Although this was kind of funny move it actually helped us to see that those color options would really work!

After the planning session Tiina got to work and I waited.

Then came the time to meet again. I went to visit Tiina's workshop to try on the clothes so the final adjustments could be done. When I saw the trousers for the first time I couldn't hold a random "wow" coming out from my mouth! Tiina had created amazing trousers with beautiful design. At the same time I noticed that she made the pattern in rounded style although she was going to make the pattern in cornered digi-camo style at first. This rounded style looks so fantastic that I'm happy that she decided to go with it. After the final adjustments I waited for few days and Tiina sent me the outfit via mail.


(Photographer: thome)

The oufit is both a good looking and functional. The outfit doesn't restrict normal movement. Shirt and trousers are both loose. Some people prefer only tight latex garments and of course we know the reason as tight latex gives you those figure-hugging looks. But for example on this outfit tight clothes wouldn't seem or work as good as now. Sometimes loose latex clothes can also be an epic option.

The shirt has a name tag on it and it's also made of latex. Shoulder boards are done from latex and they are detachable. Promotion on this costume is plausible X)   The national flag on the sleeve is also latex. All the details are just the work of cutting latex pieces and glueing them on other latex pieces.


(Photographer: thome)

Buttons on the shirt are plastic fasteners. I strongly recommend using this option on latex clothes whenever possible. These fasteners work very well and there are lots of color options available. Of course metal fasteners are also an option but it's reported that they can sometimes dye the latex and make dark stains on it. So if you fold your garment and store it you might get a nasty surprise later.

Trousers are done from three different blue latex colors. There are pockets on both thighs and they are large and very functional. There are belt rings for the waist belt too but the belt must be put carefully through them as latex is very fragile material and doesn't endure much grinding.

The outfit has two different sized belt pockets that can be attached on the waist belt separately. They give more look to costume and they also give more room to carry items.

The beret is made also from latex. It's made so the right side is a bit more wide as it should lean to the right to get that look of an army beret. It looks great but sometimes it can feel like a loose swimming cap that stews your head  X)   Nevertheless it completes the costume. There is a BDSM-logo on the front where usually is an army branch logo of the soldier. I thought this logo would look great in the latex outfit although I'm not so keen on BDSM after all. Would there have been a better option? I didn't come up with any.

The outfit is almost perfect. There has been only one minor issue so far. The loose pockets connect to waist belt with belt rings that are - of course - made of latex. They may grind against the belt which may consume the fragile material. Latex isn't functional in every case. But if you want everything to be made of latex... It's your choice.

Despite little issues I've been really surprised how durable the outfit has been. I didn't expect the garments' special designs endure so well as they have endured. I can say that Tiina have done really amazing job with not only the looks but the functionality too.


Clothing:
Latex mercenary outfit

Origin:
Custom work, original and unique

Fabric:

Latex

Manufacturer / Tailor:
Latex by Tiina Rikala

Price:
Approximately 500 €    (in year 2014)

Manufacturing time:
Approximately 4 months  (but time may vary - most important is that Tiina always completes her works within the agreed deadline)

 

The look:
5/5

Fabric quality:
5/5

Durability and lifetime: 
4/5

Quality-Price ratio: 
5/5

Service: 
5/5

Measurements:
5/5

Overall rating: 
5/5


Briefly:
Latex by Tiina Rikala is operated by Tiina alone. She is more of a personal tailor making custom commissions than a mass manufacturer with lots of similar products. You can wish for something unique and special or something ordinary piece of clothing but she'll make the garment just for you as you wish it.

Tiina has lots of creativity and talents as we can see with this costume too. The design is awesome and there are lots of details on the clothes. The tailoring has been done well and the garments fit perfectly. The outfit is functional and easy to dress. There might be some challenges with the lifetime as there are some special designs on the costume. Latex is a challenging fabric on some cases as I told about the pockets' belt rings. The quality of the fabrics is good and it can be seen that Tiina doesn't use old latex that could have stains or fragility. Actually often Tiina orders materials for your suit after you've placed your order so the quality will be good.

This Blue camo merc outfit is really cool. It looks amazing and is functional too. I'm still really satisfied with this work.

(Photographer: thome)

Notifications:
It is highly recommended that you are able to visit Tiina to get the accurate measures. Other way is to get your measures with a help of your local tailor and send the results to Tiina after that.

Accessories that aren't from Tiina:
- Half mask from Libidex
- Half gloves done from latex gloves by cutting fingers to half
- Goggles from Bollé
- Bracelets and belt - can't remember =(
- Boots from New Rock Boots

Sponsored review?
No.

Links:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Asuka plugsuit / Andromeda Latex

In the year 2016 I was lucky enough to get a slot from Andromeda Latex for commission of latex Asuka plugsuit. I was really anxious as I knew that this opportunity would be really rare but the costume wouldn't be cheap. I had always dreamed to get an Asuka plugsuit that would be perfect. Nothing like those poor ones around everywhere in cheap internet stores. I made a decision and asked for a commission. I got one. Asuka Langley Soryu meets Finland. Costume: Andromeda Latex. Model: Senshi. Photo: Tigrita. The system of Andromeda Latex is based on commissions and slots for them. People get a picture of manufacturer that is almost always booked full and rarely has any slots open. After all this is understandable because unique and high-quality costumes aren't anything like some mass-producted garments. Luckily sometimes one can notice an open slot that is announced on the website or social media channels. The commission and communicating are done with email. Thi

Being Asuka Langley Soryu in latex costume

I have noticed that most interesting thing in my photos and in my blog has been my Asuka Langley Soryu costume (by Andromeda Latex). Because I have felt that some people would like to see me doing only Asuka cosplay and posing in pictures with the costume I decided to write something about the costume. I also tell why I don't do only Asuka cosplay and why I do it quite rarely. I noticed that there hasn't been very much photos of the suit on my blog after my old review so I decided to put some photos here from the past years. I hope it covers some demand of seeing more about the suit as well as telling a bit more about experiences with it. I have cosplayed Asuka very rarely. It's not that I wouldn't like to do it but there are many reasons which I tell later on this article. General thoughts and some history of my Asuka costume Being Asuka feels fun. Well, I'm not a performer or actor so "being" sounds a bit too much. Let's just say that I love the look

Movies: Rubbers Ou Onna (Japan, 2010)

It was many years back when I found a mention about this movie on some website. There was a sho rt br iefing about the movie and it said the movie tells about a young woman who ha s a latex fetish . Of course I got interested about the movie and trie d to get i t in my hands as soon as possible. I had my prejudices regarding t he movie. Always when I had heard about a woman and latex clothing being in same movie it had been a fetish sex film or some short scene in a movie where some sexy bimbo wears PVC pants and makes i t excessive and a joke. I was very happy to find out that this movie wasn't a joke. It w as exactly what I had wished for a long time. Rubbers ou onna movie cover. Rubbers Ou Onna (also sometimes: "Rabâzu: Oou onna") is a japanese movie from year 2010. It's in japanese language. I didn't have an opportunity to watch the movie with subti tles or dub. Therefore my review is based on my own feelings and to things I saw in the movie. So